Chicken cutlets can be found as part of numerous staple meals served throughout the United States. Needing only a few ingredients, they are easy to make, provide lots of leftovers and taste delicious with nearly all vegetables and side dishes. Yet, they can be even easier. The most time consuming part of making chicken cutlets is frying the chicken — especially when making enough for several days’ worth of meals. The solution? Bake them. The taste will be identical, but while they are baking the chef can sleep, spend time with friends, make another part of dinner or finish an assignment.
Another perk to making chicken cutlets is how easily they can be turned or incorporated into another recipe. When cut into strips they can be added to a salad or a pasta dish for some additional protein, and when returned to the oven with some mozzarella cheese on top a plain cutlet can be turned into chicken parmesan.
Baked Chicken Cutlets and Parmesan
1 package of thinly sliced, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 and a 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons red sauce
6-8 thin slices of mozzarella cheese
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°, beat together the two eggs in a small bowl and pour half of the bread crumbs onto a small plate. This small plate will be refilled with the rest of the bread crumbs throughout the recipe.
- Pour a fourth inch of oil into a 15×10 pyrex pan or two half pans.
- Coat each chicken breast in egg by dunking it into the small bowl. Then lie it on the bed of bread crumbs and coat on both sides. Place in the pyrex pan. Repeat until all chicken breasts are covered and in the pan.
- Put the tray into the oven for 20 minutes. Go live your life. Return, flip the cutlets over and let sit for another 10 minutes or until they have reached your favored level of crispness.
- To make Parmigiana: Remove the cutlets from the oven and carefully place 1-2 tablespoons of red sauce on each before placing a single slice of mozzarella on top. Return them to the oven until the cheese has completely melted (about 5 minutes), remove, dish out and enjoy!