After holding on to a 2-0 record to start the season for the first time since 2014, the Fairfield University men’s lacrosse team recorded their first loss of the 2020 season against nationally ranked Georgetown University. On Saturday, Feb. 22, Georgetown extended their undefeated record to three with the 25-12 decision on Fairfield’s turf. 

Just two minutes after the whistle signaling the start of the first quarter, Georgetown picked up a ground ball off after a shot by Travis Ford ‘20 was saved, and cleared the ball to take it across the field and planted it past goalkeeper James Corasaniti ‘22. Seven seconds following the first goal of the game, the Hoya’s struck again after capitalizing on a face-off win, and led the stags 2-0. After regaining possession on a face-off violation by the visiting team, Trent Moran ‘23 finally put one on the board for Fairfield. With exactly eight minutes remaining in the quarter, Brian Reda ‘22 scored the equalizer, and Taylor Strough ‘21 contributed another goal on a man-up opportunity. Junior Lucas Pedersen’s turnover was detrimental to Fairfield’s narrow one-goal advantage, and Georgetown responded with a three-point run. At a last-ditch attempt, Dylan Beckwith ‘20 found the back of the net and the Stags would enter the second period behind, 5-4.

Fairfield, who kept close to Georgetown in the first, would prove to have a more difficult time as the second period commenced. They managed to wrack up two more goals before Ford answered. In a similar two-to-one pattern, a pair of goals by the Hoyas were responded to by Cole Barnard ‘21. Reda contributed another goal with a helper by Beckwith. The Stags headed into halftime holding their own, on the disadvantaged end of a 7-10 score. 

At the start of the second half, Georgetown was merciless offensively, and returned to the field to register six back-to-back goals. Fairfield took the offensive role on the field a handful of times, but reckless turnovers before they could answer back were the reason for their demise. Corasiniti posted seven saves to the period, to fend off Georgetown’s consistent force. The third period solidified Georgetown’s lead, allowing them a comfortable 10-point cushion, and their 10-3 performance shot them ahead going into the final 15 minutes of regulation time.

To finish off scoring for the afternoon, Georgetown surged with another five goals. The streak stopped was halted by T. Ford when Georgetown earned a team penalty, putting them down a man. Strough provided T. Ford with the helper, and to round out scoring rookie Max Paparozzi’s shot met its target for the first time in his career, but the clock would run out, leaving Fairfield in the dust, 25-12. 

All in all, the Stags put on a good showing. Their offense was led by T. Ford and Bryce Ford ‘23 who each contributed three points, made up of two goals and an assist per-person.  After Saturday’s showing, B. Ford has marked three points in each of the first three games of the season. He was tabbed Colonial Athletic Association Rookie of the Week, following his outstanding results this past week against Merrimack College and then again versus Georgetown where he collected a total of six points, four ground balls and two caused turnovers. B. Ford’s nine points places him in second place among all CAA rookies. Scoring forces who joined him included Reda with two goals, Beckwith and Strough each with a goal and an assist combination, and Cole Barnard ‘21. Trent Moran, Paparozzi and Frankie Labetti ‘21 with one apiece. In the cage, Corasaniti’s 18 saves matched his career high.

The Stags will return to Conway Field at Rafferty Stadium with a vengeance on Saturday, Feb. 29 as they are slated to host their interstate rivals, Quinnipiac University, at 1 p.m.


About The Author

-- Executive Editor Emeritus I Communications --

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.