Men’s Tennis

Fairfield University Men’s tennis team put in a good effort at this weekend’s USTA Men’s Invitational.

In Flight B, Ian Tesmond ’14 had a great run in a round of 16, beating many competitors, yet coming up short when playing against Columbia’s Dragos Ignat, who ended up winning the flight.

Junior Dennis Zlobinsky did well in Flight C, but was also unable to beat a Columbia’s Bert Vancura, the fourth seed.
However, in Zlobinsky’s consolation matches, he came out strong, defeating Sacred Heart’s Justin Pagan in two matches.

Sophomore Cameron Amyot played strong as well in a round of 16, and yet, was unable to defeat the number one seed from Yale. He won his consolation match against Marist’s Joris Van Eck.

Two of the Stags competed in Flight F: R.J. Mirabile ’14 and Ofir Solomon ’16.

Solomon was victorious against Dartmouth player Brendan Tannebaum, and played a great match against St. John’s in the quarterfinal.

However, he was unable to keep up the winning streak. Mirabile was injured in his first match and after losing his first match of the flight, won his walkover victory match in the first of two consolation matches.

Solomon and Zibinosky came together to play in Flight 2 doubles bracket, beating second seed from Yale and Dartmouth.
In Flight 1, Amyot and Tesmond teamed up to win against a pair from Southern Methodist, as well as Harvard, yet the duo was unable to win against the number one seed pair from Princeton.

The Stags will travel to Storrs this weekend to compete in the University of Connecticut Invitational.

Field Hockey

The Stags came up only one goal short against Columbia University on Sunday afternoon.

Junior Nikki McLucas had an impressive goal within two minutes with an assist from Shealyn Testa ’14. The Stags continued to bring the heat and leading the game, with a score in the 24th minute from Felicitas Heinen ’15 and an assist from Valerie Buurma ’15 and Emily Leo ’15.

Two minutes later, Columbia fought back and scored on the Stags. With the 2-1 lead into the second half, Columbia pressured the Stag’s defense and scored twice.

Even with their hard-fought efforts, the Stags were unable to keep up the strong defense, conceding one more goal, thus allowing Columbia to take the lead.

The Stags were unable to counter with one last goal to tie up the game, yet their numerous attempts at goal proved how determined the team was to come back and win.

The Stags (6-4) play their next game this Friday at University Field, competing against 16th ranked, New Hampshire, followed by a game in Providence, Rhode Island against Brown Sunday at noon.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team traveled across the country this weekend to Albuquerque, New Mexico, to compete in the Lobo Invitational.

Their first game, on Friday night, was against New Mexico, who was ranked eighth in the nation. New Mexico scored early in the first half, and the Stags came back with three shots at goal, unfortunately not being able to convert any.

In the second half, New Mexico came out in the second half with eight shots on goal, which all were saved by Michael O’Keeffe ’13. However, in the eighty-first minute, New Mexico scored on last time to win the game.

In their second game against Denver on Sunday, the Stags put out a great effort. Sophomore Jordan Ayris scored his first goal of the 2012 season in the twelfth minute of the game.

However, after the goal, Denver went back to work, recording 19 shots and forcing O’Keeffe to make a total of seven saves.

Junior Reco McLaren, Jon Clements ’14 and John Martinez ’16, had shots at goal within the last 10 minutes of the game, which were unsuccessful.

The Stags will look to get back on track when they play University of Rhode Island this Saturday at Lessing Field at 7 p.m. for one of last home game until Oct. 19.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.