There’s truly no time like the holidays. Between the cookies, the candy and the cheer, it’s impossible not to be happy all the time, especially once finals are in your rearview mirror. It’s a time for family and good food, desserts in particular.
The following recipe, from a recipe website entitled Cooking Classy, combines two of the best foods known to man — popcorn and peppermint bark. Although still definitely a sugary dessert, the popcorn gives the dish at least a semblance of health benefits, as it has a lot of necessary fiber and antioxidants, according to the website Livestrong. The addition of the crushed candy canes turn this into the perfect dessert to bring to your next holiday party.
Peppermint Bark Popcorn
1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels (10 cups popped)
12 oz vanilla candy melts or vanilla almond bark
5 peppermint candy canes, finely crushed
1/2 cup good quality chocolate chips
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Pop kernels in a brown paper bag in the microwave and remove unpopped kernels.
- Melt candy melts according to directions listed on package.
- Pour melted candy melts over popcorn and toss to evenly coat.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of crushed candy canes and immediately add the remaining crushed candy canes to popcorn and toss to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle with Christmas or red sprinkles if desired.
- Spread onto a large piece of parchment or wax paper into a single layer.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips until smooth.
- Stir the peppermint extract into the melted chocolate.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and drizzle evenly over the popcorn.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon candy canes over chocolate and allow chocolate to set at room temperature, then break popcorn into pieces.
Leave a Reply