Alumni outraged after disbandment

Sixty-four returning football players. Twenty-one returning hockey players. Ten coaches. As of the 2003/2004 academic year, all 95 of them will become a piece of university history.

After more than 35 years of history at Fairfield, the football and ice hockey teams are eliminated from the university’s athletic program.

“It’s one of the more disappointing things that’s ever happened to me,” said Steve Hadley ’01, former football player. “I was the second class to play football here. We built up a championship team. We had a short program, but a great program. Our biggest fear is that we will be forgotten.”

Football first appeared on campus as a club sport, beginning with the 1966 season. The club team played its first game against Iona College, and finished the season with an 0-5-1 record.

The team reached the club national championship game in 1979, but lost to the University of Lowell 60-40.

After the disbandment in the 1986 season, the club team soon turned into the 20th varsity sport at Fairfield on March 28,1995 and began competition in the Fall of 1996 as a Division I-AA non-scholarship program.

Top-rated Division I-AA defense for rushing (61.7 y.p.g.) and for total yards (213.8 y.p.g.) in 1998, the Stags finished off the 1998 season as MAAC Champions.

In 1999, the defense was ranked second for scoring defense (13.4 p.p.g) and for total defense (237.7 y.p.g.).

In total, six Fairfield players earned All-American honors, and one player received Academic All-American honors.

With such a successful history, many alumni looked towards a brighter future and were crushed by the news.

“I wish they had told us sooner, especially in a recruiting standpoint,” said assistant coach Tom Unger, ’00. “I feel as if I just wasted the last two months on the road getting students that I felt would be an asset to the university academically and athletically.”

Many alumni felt there was a breakdown of communication regarding the elimination.

“A lot of questions are being raised in how the university didn’t notify anyone and were very secretive about the issue,” said former team captain Matt Costanzo, ’01. “One Jesuit priest at Fairfield once told me: ‘Any reputation is earned.’ After this incident, what reputation do you think Fairfield has earned with trust and loyalty?”

The football team does not stand alone. The men’s ice hockey team was also eliminated starting in the 2003/2004 academic year.

“I am very disappointed, shocked and surprised,” said former hockey player John Hanley, ’84. “In the real world, everyone makes tough decisions, but the big problem here is what the decision-making process was. They lacked clarity. They should have given the team one more year to try and raise more money.”

University President Rev. Aloysius P. Kelley, S.J. said that the elimination of both programs would result in significant annual savings of approximately $570,000, not including athletic grants-in-aid. Those funds would be reallocated to support the university’s student financial aid program.

Former hockey player Marsh Richards, ’83, was angered by the news.

“I’m disappointed, discouraged, and embarrassed of the school,” Richards said. “I don’t think they handled it correctly at all. Not much thought went into the process. I feel awful for the players. Schools have made mistakes like this. There’s going to be outrage from students, players, family and alumni.”

Hockey also began as a club sport with a schedule of scrimmages in 1966-67. In its first full schedule of games in 1968-69, the team finished with a 18-8-0 record and joined the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Hockey League (MIHL).

The team posted a 27-0 regular season record during the 1973-74 season and captured the MIHL championship. The hockey program was elevated to varsity status for the 1974-75 season under Dr. John McCarthy and posted an 18-8-1 mark that year.

The Stags were a founding member of the MAAC Hockey League in 1998, and the team’s best record in the MAAC came in 2000-2001 with a 10-14-2 mark. They posted a 275-414-28 record in varsity play, heading into the 2002-03 season.

Many alumni complained they were not notified of the disbandment.

Highly active donors of the football and hockey alumni received notification on Friday.

“It’s definitely hard for a lot of guys to open up the newspaper and find out the news that way,” said former football player Eric Giordano, ’01. “None of us were notified. Next homecoming, most alumni can drive by campus and go directly to the Grape.”

“They kept everyone in the dark. There’s been no effort to try and save the program. The way the university handled it was embarrassing and changed my view of the university,” Hanley added. “We should be spending money for the program, not taking it away. The alumni were never given a change to raise money. If we weren’t able to raise money, we could live with the decision … but we were never given the chance.”

Staff Writer Annie Mullowney contributed to this article.

Comments

76 Responses to Alumni outraged after disbandment

1. Whats the quickest way to get weed out of your sytem?? How can i get weed out?? How to get Weed Out of your System? No old Rehash! Something That …?

2. Russ Woytek says:

I like this weblog very much, Its a very nice position to read and receive information. “The Earth has a skin and that skin has diseases, one of those diseases is man.” by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

3. Antywirus says:

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising. The clarity within your post is merely nice and i could assume you’re a specialist on this particular subject. Well using your permission permit me to grab your Rss feed to maintain updated with forthcoming publish. Thanks a new million and please keep up the pleasurable work.

4. acne says:

My friend wants to read a story I wrote in a video on her Youtube channel. I’m concerned that my story could be stolen by some one, and have them claim it as their own, not that I think it’s really good enough for anyone to want to steal it. How likely do you think it would be that my story would be plagiarized? Is there anything Youtube does to try to stop plagiarism?.

5. acne cure says:

I’m still learning from you, as I’m improving myself. I definitely liked reading everything that is posted on your site.Keep the aarticles coming. I enjoyed it!

6. An additional issue is that video gaming has become one of the all-time greatest forms of fun for people of every age group. Kids enjoy video games, and also adults do, too. The actual XBox 360 is just about the favorite video games systems for many who love to have a huge variety of activities available to them, and who like to play live with other folks all over the world. Thank you for sharing your notions.

7. trade forex says:

Wow! This can be one particular of the most helpful blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Excellent. I’m also a specialist in this topic so I can understand your effort.

8. Enjoyed looking through this, very good stuff, appreciate it. “It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others.” by John Andrew Holmes.

9. I truly appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thx again!

10. Hey there. I noticed your website title, “Alumni outraged after disbandment” does not really reflect the content of your web-site. When composing your blog title, do you think it’s best to write it for SEO or for your viewers? This is something I’ve been battling with due to the fact I want good search rankings but at the same time I want the best quality for my site visitors.

11. Your blog is so informative … keep up the good work!!!!

12. HGHAdvanced says:

I in addition to my buddies were actually looking at the excellent helpful tips located on your web blog and so all of the sudden I had an awful feeling I never expressed respect to the site owner for those secrets. Those young boys had been joyful to read through them and have definitely been loving them. Appreciation for genuinely very thoughtful and then for making a decision on these kinds of ideal issues most people are really desirous to know about. Our own sincere apologies for not expressing gratitude to you sooner.

13. I DO NOTHING LIKE THIS CHANGE!!!

14. work at home says:

Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks

15. piano chords says:

so much fantastic info on here, : D.

16. Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

17. Thanks for discussing your ideas. I’d personally also like to express that video games have been ever before evolving. Better technology and inventions have made it simpler to create reasonable and enjoyable games. These kinds of entertainment video games were not as sensible when the real concept was first being attempted. Just like other forms of electronics, video games too have had to develop by way of many generations. This itself is testimony towards fast growth and development of video games.

18. Enjoyed looking through this, very good stuff, appreciate it. “What the United States does best is to understand itself. What it does worst is understand others.” by Carlos Fuentes.

19. log homes says:

Good day! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

20. Carli Haby says:

Only a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style .

21. You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.

22. Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?

23. aldara warts says:

Aldara (imiquimod) Aldara cream contains the active ingredient imiquimod, which is a type of medicine called an immunomodulator. It is used to treat three different …

24. Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thanks However Im experiencing subject with ur rss . Do not know why Can not enroll in it. Will there be anybody getting identical rss downside? Anyone who appreciates kindly respond. Thnkx

25. I gotta bookmark this internet site it seems handy very helpful

26. Tous les meilleurs liens sont sur annuaires-gratuit.com, referencement annuaires gratuit .