The advent of fall brings one of my favorite activities of all time: apple picking. Although I can no longer eat the delectable apple cider donuts from my local apple orchard, the caramel apple that awaits me after an arduous day searching for the best Macintosh and Cortland apples almost makes up for it.
After my family and I pack all the apples we find up into the trunk of our car, we return home to make easily the best cake I have ever tasted: apple cake. The perfect marriage of health and sugar, apple cake is the perfect dessert, made even better when paired with a cup of hot tea.
1 cup of softened butter
2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla
4 cups of apples of your choice, peeled and chopped up
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Optional: 1 cup of chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla to the bowl.
- Add the apples into the mixture and stir.
- Combine dry ingredients with the apple mixture and mix well.
- Put the mixture in a greased, 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the middle of the cake and have it come away without crumbs on it.