Every week, my mom buys a surplus of bananas for my family to eat and every week, at least half of these bananas go uneaten. For a while, we would just throw them out and buy fresh ones; however, throwing them out soon turned into a vicious cycle where many bananas would just end up in the trash. After a few months, my grandma gave my mom a recipe for banana bread, which calls for old, mushy bananas. Gone were the days when bananas would go to waste. Now, my mom would bake 2-3 loaves of banana bread with all of the leftover bananas. If you ever find yourself in the same situation, here’s an easy recipe to avoid wasting produce.
1 egg well beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and add the egg.
- Stir the mixture well and add sugar.
- Melt the butter and add it to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and walnuts together.
- Mix the two bowls of ingredients together and smooth into a pan.
- Cook the bread for one hour.
- Let cool for ten minutes.