For the longest time, I thought I was too much of a food snob to ever enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich. Although I have eaten many grilled cheese sandwiches in my life, I feel as though none of them have truly lived up to my expectations – the bread was always soggy, the cheese was always a little too melted and the flavors were never bold enough. Am I a picky eater? Well, yes I am. But, many people out there enjoy a good grilled cheese; one that is different from the ordinary grilled cheese sandwich. After doing careful research by looking through Food Network magazines, researching different kinds of bread and taking into consideration my own personal love of spicy food, I decided to make my own version of a grilled cheese sandwich that I would love and enjoy. After tasting the first bite of this “jacked” grilled cheese I have come up with, I was smitten. This is an easy, non-traditional grilled cheese sandwich recipe. Even if you live on campus at Fairfield University and don’t have a kitchen to yourself, it is easy to cook in one of the residential hall kitchens or at home!
“Jacked” Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Trader Joe’s Stone Hearth Baked sourdough loaf
- Pepper jack cheese
- Earth Balance soy free butter spread (or a butter of your choice)
- Chili powder (optional)
- Take two pieces of the sourdough bread, spread butter on one side of each piece of bread
- Sprinkle just a small amount of chili powder onto the buttered sides of the bread
- Turn the buttered side over and place two pieces of pepper jack cheese on the bread, top it with the other piece of bread with the buttered side facing up
- Turn the oven on medium heat, place the sandwich on a saucepan and cook both sides until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown
- Cut it in two and enjoy!